Sutton United moved into The Borough Sports Ground (Gander Green Lane) in the 1912/1913 season (It was called the Adult School Sports Ground at the time), although were only there for a year before moving to a field in Grove Road called The Find.
Sutton's first match at Gander Green Lane was against Guards Depot in the English Cup (FA Cup) and it finished one goal each. A crowd of over 800 watched the first league match at the ground, against Redhill, Sutton winning 1-0.
Sutton moved back into Gander Green Lane after World War I and the first post-war match was played against Page Green Old Boys on 30th August 1919 with around 400 people watching Sutton win 4-1.
In the 1950/1951 season plans had been drawn up for building a new grandstand, at an estimate cost of £3,000. The Grounds Improvements Committee had been busy during the year and had gained the use of the land neighbouring the railway, on which a car park had been constructed. Using railway sleepers, construction of a new terrace was also well advanced.
The Borough Council put up £1,200 as part of the Coronation celebrations on condition that construction of the stand was finished on schedule. A considerable saving was achieved through volunteer labour, notably digging three dozen holes, each 6 ft deep and 4 ft square, all filled with concrete.
Architects' plans for the completion of the new grandstand by constructing full accommodation below were examined, at a cost of £10,000 for the work. The local Council agreed to provide a loan to enable the costs to be met.
In the January of the 1962/1963 season the club was invited to join the Isthmian League and £5,000 was spent on new floodlights.
The summer after the championship winning season of 1985/1986 a group of volunteer supporters cleared away the wooden sleepers behind the goal at the Collingwood Road end of the ground, to allow a new concrete terrace to be constructed. Next, the perimeter fence and main stand were painted before the changing rooms were redecorated.
In late February of the 1996/1997 season construction work started on the Securicor terrace and was completed in late March. Supporters were asked to help meet the costs of the work through a scheme called "Buy A Brick", and the list of contributors is preserved in a plaque attached to the back of the structure. "Buy A Brick" raised in excess of £7,000.
In the summer of 2000/2001 new floodlights were installed at the ground. There have also been other small changes to the ground over the past few years, like a new tea hut for Rose was put in at the same time as the floodlights. The club shop moved from it's location next door to the refreshments hunt next to the stand to a porta cabin next to the Securicor terrace because it out grew it's old building. There was also a new drainage system put in during the same time as the new floodlights and other little things here and there to keep the ground in shape.
The club continues to improve the facilities at Gander Green Lane and have plans to square off the Collingwood Road End of the ground but currently do not have the funds to do this, and also other small improvements to make sure the ground keeps it's safety certificate and ground grading.
The record attendance for Gander Green Lane is 14,000 and was set when Sutton United played Leeds United in the FA Cup in the 1969/1970 season.