Worthing (home), Buildbase FA Trophy 2nd Round Replay
Tuesday 24th January, KO 7.45
Top Menu

Abbotts Sport Media

Green Go Waste

Hunters, Carshalton

S&C Slatter

Southwood UK Roofing

FA Club Mark

FC Trust

Our Lane Partners

Sutton Cricket Club

Sutton Churches Tennis Club

Pulse Health & Fitness


Sutton United

Newton 64




10 September 2016
Vanarama National League 
Karl Evans (Manchester)
Ross Worner 
2   Kevin Amankwaah      
Dan Spence
  73 Wishart   
4   Dean Beckwith      
15   Craig Eastmond    
6   Jamie Collins    
23   Ryan Burge       
8   Bedsente Gomis   68 Fitchett   
24   Max Biamou   68 Deacon  
16   Nicky Bailey      
Chris Dickson
  Dan Wishart      
  Louis John      
Dan Fitchett
11   Ross Stearn      
21   Roarie Deacon      

The U's were cursing themselves all the way home for not bringing at least a point back with them and indeed all three would not have been unrealistic. The reaction of the almost four thousand home fans at the final whistle was ample demonstration of how quiet their local heroes had been kept.

Sutton had the better of the first five minutes and that set the pattern for the afternoon. Craig Eastmond won the ball on the left and drove forward to the edge of the box but his shot was blocked and deflected up towards Max Biamou, who tried his luck with another spectacular overhead kick but could only send the ball wide. It was twelve minutes before the home side mustered an attack but the cross from wide on the right zipped across goal with nobody on hand to threaten Ross Worner's goal.  It was another three minutes before Wrexham managed a shot, Gerry McDonagh blasting way over on the turn from 20 yards.

It was essentially one-way traffic for the rest of the half. Chris Dickson chested the ball back into the path of Eastmond and his low drive was pushed away at full stretch by Shwan Jalal. After a patient build up that utilised the full width of the pitch Dan Spence swung in a deep cross from the left that reached Bedsente Gomis at the far post but the midfielder's low drive was somehow cleared off the line. The corner brought sustained Sutton pressure that was ended by a foul on Eastmond, but Ryan Burge's free-kick was straight at the keeper. Biamou then set off on a fifty yard run that was only halted  when he was brought down on the edge of the area by Hamza Bencherif, who was booked. This time Nicky Bailey chanced his arm with a thunderbolt shot but, with Jamal leaden-footed the ball whistled inches wide of the far post. Then a poor defensive header fell into the path of Gomis, who fed Eastmond but his effort was high and wide.

As the interval ticked closer another patient period of possession ended with Dickson hitting the bar from 20 yards. There was still time for Biamou to have a shot blocked for a corner and from the scramble that resulted Dickson saw another effort tipped over the bar by Jamal.

The second half started in similar fashion with Biamou flicking the ball on and winning a corner. Wrexham cleared the first cross but then gave away a free-kick with a foul on Amankwaah and from the low cross Bailey struck a goal bound shot that frustratingly struck Dickson on the goal line. The striker was flagged offside anyway but begged the intriguing question of whether the goal would have stood had he not been in the way.  Following yet another attack that made use of both flanks Dickson tried a 20-yard curler but Jamal was able to make a comfortable save.

Substitute Shaun Harrad then blasted over at the other end before a slick move involving Eastmond, Dickson and Spence ended with Biamou heading wide from the latter's cross. Then, against the run of play, the U's were behind. Failing to clear the ball cleanly proved fatal when Newton tried his luck from the angle of the box and saw his shot nestle into the bottom corner of the net with Worner unsighted as the ball wormed it's way through a sea of legs, slight deflections off Bailey and Collins giving the keeper little chance. The home side briefly found some impetus, a cross from the left only just failing to leave Harrad with a tap in.

U's brought on Dan Wishart and he immediately posed a new threat down the left and Jamal had to make a smart save from another Dickson effort but the U's found it hard to create openings in the last twenty minutes as the home team, to the frustration of their fans, made little effort to get forward and despite six added minutes Sutton couldn't find a way through, the match ending with a final Deacon volley saved. 

Wrexham:- S Jalal, H Bencherif, C Tilt, J Rooney, S Newton, M Carrington, P Rutherford, J Evans, C Powell(sub S Harrad 44), G McDonagh(sub K Edwards 73), N Nortey(sub M Bakare H-T). Subs n/u M Riley, A Barry. Booked: Bencherif, Newton, Harrad.

Season Tickets
Vanarama National
National League
Sutton United Essential Info
League sponsors

BT Sport

Sport 360

Main sponsors

Drew Smith
Away team sponsor

Champion Timber
Home Team Shirt Sponsors

Green Go Waste
Other Kit Sponsors



KT Partnership

Website sponsor

All Gold Coins
Function and Meeting Rooms available for hire
Boom Boom Club
Club Caterers

All Time Catering